Tuesday, November 6, 2007

week seven wiki's

Wiki's are really going to catch on. The fact that anyone can change the information could be a problem. I see that some sites you have to register so those pages could be monitored, which could be a solution. Library success is one of these.
I have heard that Wikipedia was reported to have been more accurate and up-to-date informaton than Britanica according to a check done on both sites.
Maybe we could have a ACL wiki site.

I think customers would love to add information and the fact that they can add the information directly would appeal to a lot of people. Princeton's Booklovers wiki is an example. The layout is attractive and more visual than St. Joseph County Public Library.
All book lovers would enjoy this wiki.

I looked at several library wiki's and' SJCPL Libraryfor life' was an interesting site. I am interested in Genealogy and looked followed the link on that subject. The information on the site was very USA based. I also liked the idea of the Local history page.

I searched for wiki pages and found several NZ wikis. Here is one called New Zealand wiki. There is not much information added to the site as yet. There is a logo competition on the site - popular topic at the moment :)

PBwiki
It took me a few moments to work out that I just had to start typing on the page, and then I remembered a colleague had said something similar. Phew! might have taken me ages otherwise - even though I had watched the video a couple of times. So easy when you know how and not so scary once you have done it.
Some of the holiday destinations look interesting places to travel to.
Great to read other folks blogs. There sure are some very interesting ones out there.












1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am addicted to wikipedia! :) Great work on your blog and adding to a wiki :)